The Atalaia Diving Center - Madeira
The Atalaia Dive Center is situated directly at the Underwater Marine Park and possibly with the best house reef of Madeira, offers diverse and safe diving for beginners as well as for experienced divers.
The Dive Center
Founded in March 1988 by Joe Klenk, Marco Klenk took over the Dive Center 2016 from his father Joe, who explored the underwater world of Madeira as one of the first divers ever. Together with Sasha Hartmann he now leads the newly renovated Dive Center. The team offers relaxed diving in small groups at the highest level of comfort, individual service and respectable diving education. Of course there’s space for tons of fun too. The Dive Center has a pool for educational training and Discover Scuba Diving sessions as well as direct access to six top divesites right at the doorstep. Atalaia highly values top-certified dive instructors and high-class equipment.
Right above the Diving Center you find the following hotels: Royal Orchid ****, Roca Mar ****, Cais da Oliveira **** with dreamlike views of the Atlantic… up to the offshore islands, the Ilhas Desertasa.
Many customers also like to book apartments with Klenk's Café (2-8 people) which offers a fine restaurant and home-brewed beer.
The Dive Center can be reached from almost all the hotels in and around Caniço de Baixo in no time.
The diving with Atalaia Diving Center as certificated CMAS / IAC and PADI Dive Resort is ideal for education from beginner’s level up to Divemaster and also offers experienced divers a great deal. No matter whether it’s the Canyon, Moray's Wall, inside the Cave or the Blue Hole, there’s always something new to discover. Boat dives in the nearby Underwater Marine Park Garajau with the big groupers are as well part of the program. On customer request we individually offer autonomous diving as buddy-team and night dives.
The exclusive highlight is definitely the catamaran day trip to the offshore Underwater Marine Park of the Desertas islands - including a one-tank dive, fine catering and drinks on board as well as dolphin and whale observations on the way.
The name ATALAIA indicates the area where the Dive Center is located. ATALAIA means „The Guard“. You recognize a clear male face in the rock formation of the eastern coastline about 1 kilometer from the Atalaia Diving Center. „The Guard“ watches and protects the offshore area. He embodies the guardian of the sea like Neptune or Poseidon in the mythology.
Our Dive Center is equipped with:
- 3 freshwater showers for hygienic cleaning of neoprene and a big tank for cleaning all the other equipment
- 2 platforms of 2.7 meters – for back-friendly and comfortable mounting of your equipment
- Storage for your private equipment (wet space and dry space)
- L&W Compressor silent, with power delivery of 570 liters /min. for ultra quick filling
- BWA Rib, 6.10 m, Honda 135 HP, to hold a max. of 12 people with ladder to easy enter the boat with equipment
- Pool (2.20 m deep, fresh water) for trainingl sessions
- Well sorted workshop for all the "little complaints" of your equipment
- Small but capable fine dive-shop
- Wi-Fi and free Internet access in the shop
Equipment in all current dimensions – always in top condition:
- BCD (SCUBAPRO)
- Wetsuits 7 mm (SCUBAPRO)
- Regulator (SCUBAPRO)
- high-quality UW torch (SCUBAPRO)
- Dive computer (SCUBAPRO)
- Adjustable Diving fins – boots are not for rent due to hygienic reasons (please bring your own)
- Masks, fins and snorkel in all dimensions for rent
- Steel tanks 10 L and 12 L with monovalve, DIN + INT
- 15 L tanks for our BIG ones
- 7 L tanks for our small ones
Please don’t forget: logbook, diving certification and medical certification (Diving fitness examination DFE)